How I Work: Principles, Methodologies, and Process
Personal Core Principles
- Identify problems to create sustainable solutions.
- Never bullshit others.
- Always start rough and refine later.
- Favour balance over a perfect single aspect.
- Iterate fast at low risk areas.
- Buddy up with developers.
- Grow mutual understanding by looking beyond core responsibilities and collaboration.
- Engage and empathize directly with users to gather first-hand vibes and feedback.
- Always deliver something useful.
- Prevent jargon.
- Kanban for personal use and teams.
- Transparent documentation starting from the beginning.
- Use but not overuse various rituals and methods.
Examples for Two Design Processes I Successfully Used in the Past
Option A: Quick and Dirty
This can be less than half an hour from 1 to 4 if a company is flexible enough.
- See UX bug
- Write ToDo containing a fix for Dev
- Assign Task to Dev
- No review necessary because I believe in everybody's sense of responsibility
Option B: Comprehensive Production Circle
For long-term projects like the creation of a new app.
I either work self-motivated, directed by a client's brief, by a team decision or based on user feedback.
- Understanding the problem
I use various tools and methodologies within the fields of UX Audits, user research, product analysis and market review.
- Creative Phase
Ideation ➔ Concept ➔ Hi-fidelity concept ➔ Prototype
Task definition ➔ Supervised development ➔ Release